It takes more than one person, or even one organization, to raise awareness about the issue of clergy sexual abuse. The Hope of Survivors may be the organization that launched Clergy Sexual Abuse Awareness & Prevention Day®, but many other organizations and individuals are a part of what makes this campaign a success. Below are some ways YOU can GET INVOLVED!
- Watch this video and learn how you can submit your video and be part of this important campaign!
- Participate in our month-long social media campaign by uploading an image a day on your social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, etc.) to raise awareness. Download the images here.
- Coordinate or participate in a walk-a-thon/run/relay to raise awareness about the prevalence of, and devastation caused by, clergy sexual abuse.
- Become a corporate sponsor by making a financial contribution to support awareness efforts and victim assistance.
- Plan an event in your area that will raise awareness, such as a benefit concert, seminar, etc.
- Sponsor a mailing (of informational materials) in your area.
- Place an ad in your local newspaper.
- Contact radio/TV/newspaper/other media outlets for the purpose of requesting they air a public service announcement (PSAs will be provided).
- Organize a sports tournament (racquetball, basketball, golf, etc.).
- Ask your local theater to play the documentary, Call It Anything But Love!, or Innocence Stolen, Trust Betrayed, to help raise awareness. Review the press kit.
- Write your representative in congress to ask him/her to submit a bill making clergy sexual abuse a criminal offense.
We'd like to show our appreciation to those who have become part of this campaign to raise awareness about clergy sexual abuse, those who have decided Enough IS Enough! Our special thanks to:
- Diana R. Garland, Ph.D.,
Dean, Baylor School of Social Work; Waco, Texas (now deceased)
- Dr. Gary Schoener, Executive Director of the Walk-In Counseling Center; Minneapolis, MN
- Jennifer Jill Schwirzer, LPC; Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania
- Chaplain Jon D. Kline, Big Muddy River Correctional Center; Ina, Illinois
- Linda Beldin-Korter, LCSW, Awaken Ministries; Vancouver, Washington
- Rich DuBose, Director, Pacific Union Conference, Church
- Lourdes Morales-Gudmundsson, Ph.D., speaker and author I Forgive You, But...
- Cindy Boling, President, AdvocateWeb (HOPE = Helping Overcome Professional Exploitation)
- Carolyn Waterstradt, M.A., Clergy Sexual Abuse Researcher
- René Drumm, Ph.D., Dean, School of Social Work, Southern Adventist University; Collegedale, TN
- Kevin Gourley, Founder, AdvocateWeb (Offering HOPE—Helping Overcome Professional Exploitation)
- Dawn Devereux and Jonathan Coe, The Clinic for Boundaries Studies (UK)
Feel free to read their endorsements of this campaign and spread the news!
Resources you can use to Get Involved!
- Download, print and share the flyers (Flyer 1; Flyer 2)
- Download and distribute the public service announcement to local radio stations (:30 spot; :60 spot)
- Order buttons and other materials to share with others during your campaign event
- Review additional website resources here.